I reached out to my dear friend and makeup artist extraordinaire, Christina Barria-Moscatiello and asked her if she would share some of her expert wedding makeup advice with my brides. Being the sweetheart that she is, she is sharing her Top 9 Make Up Do’s and Dont’s For Your Big Day.
Christina Barria has been an established, professional makeup artist for over a decade. With the love of makeup at a young age, she perfected her artistry skills while living in London. She attended the London School of Beauty and Makeup and came back to the states with a passion to make beauty her career. With a career spanning more than a decade, she has worked with hundreds of brides and specializes in Luxury Bridal Makeup. You can read more about Christina’s credentials by CLICKING HERE.
I’m a firm believer wedding day makeup should be left to the pros and Christina is a pro I love. I know you’ll find her Top 9 Make Up Do’s and Dont’s For Your Big Day super helpful!
Your wedding day is one of the most important days of your life. There are so many important decisions to be made and of course you want every detail to be perfect! Being in the industry for over 12 years, I have created a Bridal cheat sheet for achieving an effortless and classic makeup look. These are my top tips and tricks to guarantee you will look and feel your absolute best on your big day!
1. Do Begin a skincare regimen at least 3-4 months before the big day.
- Even if you have your everyday skincare routine down, it’s worth it to take a trip to your dermatologist or esthetician to address specific issues. Together, you can come up with a plan to tackle any imperfections and a pre wedding day regimen that will create the perfect canvas for makeup! I suggest 3/4 months out to give your skin enough time to adjust to a new routine! Also, in the event that you have an unwanted skin reaction, this gives you ample time to heal. Some of my personal favorite pre event facials are Derma-planing and Hydra facials.
2. Do your research and find an artist that reflects your style.
- It can be overwhelming trying to find a makeup artist. Referrals are great when looking for the perfect match for your wedding day glam. Reach out as soon as you find someone you like to make sure your artist has your date available. High demand artists tend to book up as much as 2 years in advance!
3. Do Take advantage of social media!
- This is a great tool to see a Makeup artists work, style and range. Check out their Instagram page and websites to see their best work. Bring inspiration pics to your trial of someone with similar features as you. Pinterest is a great tool to create a “glam board” where you can save makeup looks you love and how you envision yourself on your wedding day.
4. Do give your Make-up artist as much information as you can!
- Be mindful of your wedding day vibe~ is it an outdoor event? Evening? Beach? Winter? All this information should be discussed to ensure proper products are used to withstand the elements to keep you picture perfect from day to night!
5. Don’t be afraid to speak up if you don’t like something!
- During a trial, make sure you let your MUA know if there’s something you don’t love! Their job is to make you happy with the end result, so check in and let us know during the process. At your trial, inform your artist if you will be having a spray tan and or coloring your hair pre wedding day. This will help them better determine eyeshadows, foundation and lip color.
*Bonus Pro tip: wear a top reflective of the shade of you wedding dress to your trial. This will give you an overall better idea of how the makeup looks in contrast to your wedding dress!
6. Don’t be afraid to bring/use a products you absolutely love!
- If you have a products you swear by, (ie your foundation or concealer) bring them to your trial! Your artist can use primers and products to incorporate your personal faves and ensure they will be long wearing.
7. Do get your facial waxing and/or threading at least a week before your wedding day!
- When you wax or thread too close to the event date, the fresh skin makes blending makeup in those specific areas a bit more difficult. Use a topical aloe cream to soothe the area post treatment.
8. Don’t forget to purchase and have your touch up essentials!
- If your artist is not staying with you for the duration of your event, it’s important to get the key products to keep your makeup looking fresh and flawless till the last selfie is taken!
- These are some of my top touch up products: your lip color including lip liner and gloss if you are using them. You will most likely be wearing a long wearing lip product but keep in mind the night is full of talking, drinking, eating and smooching 😉 so keep your color handy in your clutch or with your trusty maid of honor!
- Blotting powder and blotting papers will be your best friends for shine free, camera ready skin. Using a medium sized powder brush, focus application of blotting powder in what I like to call the “hot spots”- forehead, corners of the nose, under eye, and chin. The blotting papers and powder are great because they absorb oil without adding more product thus preventing a cakey look. *personal favorites FentyBeauty universal powder, MAC cosmetics blot powder.
9. Do get false eyelashes!
- Individual false lashes are always a good idea. They instantly enhance your eyes making them pop in pictures. Some brides opt for the permanent lashes which can last up to 2 weeks. An alternative are the individuals that are just for the day of. Both styles can be customized to your eye shape and range in lengths from extra short to extra long and full to give you the perfect look for your eye shape!
Cupcake Graphics is a wedding invitation company located in Allentown, NJ, specializing in the design and distribution of quality, customized, wedding invitations and day-of wedding stationery. Servicing the Greater Philadelphia, Mercer County and Bucks County areas, as well as nationally.
42 S Main Street, Allentown, NJ 08501 | email@example.com | Cupcake Graphics Instagram
Are you a Cupcake VIP?
Enter your email address to be a part of the elite group of CUPCAKE BRIDES that have access to all our sales, announcements, tips, tricks and wedding planning secrets before anyone else does!